S. Benton Cantey V
Benton Cantey represents a variety of publicly traded and privately held corporate clients and family offices in complex mergers and acquisitions, including negotiated acquisitions and divestitures, controlled auctions, strategic alliances, and joint ventures. Mr. Cantey also assists clients with public financing through the issuance of debt and equity securities. Additionally, he regularly advises clients regarding various aspects of corporate and securities laws, including SEC compliance and corporate governance matters.
Mr. Cantey has been voted by Texas Monthly as one of the Super Lawyers in the area of Mergers & Acquisitions, as published in Texas Monthly and Law & Politics magazines. Additionally, Mr. Cantey was recognized as a Top Attorney in Corporate Finance/Mergers & Acquisitions by Fort Worth, Texas magazine, was named a Power Attorney by the Fort Worth Business Press, as well as a 40 Under 40 honoree by the Fort Worth Business Press. Mr. Cantey has also been named a Fellow of the Texas Bar Foundation, serves as an adjunct professor of law at Texas A&M Law School, and previously served as an adjunct professor of business law at Texas Christian University.
Experience and highlights
- Represented private equity fund in connection with its $600,000,000 sale of financial services business to another private equity fund
- Represented an oil and gas services company in connection with its $100,000,000 sale to a private equity fund
- Represented a pharmaceutical software company in connection with its $41,000,000 sale to a private equity fund
- Represented a FBO in connection with its sale to a strategic acquirer
- Represented AZZ incorporated (NYSE) in connection with its $126,000,000 tender offer acquisition of North American Galvanizing & Coatings, Inc. (NASDAQ)
- Represented a NYSE public company in connection with its private placement of $125,000,000 of notes
- Represented AMR Corporation, parent company of American Airlines, Inc., in connection with its $480,000,000 sale of its wholly-owned subsidiary, American Beacon Advisors, Inc. to TPG Capital and Pharos Capital
- Represented a NYSE public oil and gas company in connection with a $1 billion public offering of Senior Notes
- Represented NYSE public company in connection with four Canadian acquisitions
- Represented a NYSE public company in connection with a $275,000,000 acquisition with operations in the U.S., Netherlands, Canada, Poland and Brazil.
- Represented a drilling fluids company in connection with its $51,000,000 sale to a public company
- Represented Texas Wesleyan University in connection with the sale of its law school to Texas A&M University
- Represented a NYSE public company in connection with its $80,000,000 acquisition of a nuclear services company
- Represented a private equity firm in connection with the formation of a $150,000,000 real estate private equity fund
- Represented a NYSE public electrical and industrial products company in connection with its $85,000,000 asset acquisition of six galvanizing plants
- Represented a laundry company in connection with its $116,000,000 sale to a public company
- Represented an electronic component distributor in its sale to Berkshire Hathaway, Inc.
- Represented oil field services company and its shareholders in connection with a substantial equity investment by a private equity fund and concurrent bank financings related thereto and with its subsequent numerous acquisitions and refinancings ranging from $40 million to $100 million
Affiliations and honors
- American Bar Association
- Texas Bar Association, Fellow
- Tarrant County Bar Association, Fellow
- Bullock Texas State History Museum, Board of Trustees
- Leadership Fort Worth
- Phi Delta Phi
- Auburn University Football Lettermen Club
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America®, 2018-2019
- Top Attorney in Business Law, Corporate Finance/Mergers and Acquisitions, and Securities Law, 360 West magazine, 2018
- Texas Super Lawyer, Thomson Reuters, 2016-2018
- Top Attorney, Fort Worth, Texas magazine, 2017-2018
- Top Attorney in Business Law, Civil Law and Transactional, Corporate Counsel, and Corporate Finance/Mergers and Acquisition, 360 West magazine, 2017
- Texas Super Lawyers Rising Star, Thomson Reuters, 2005, 2008-2016
- Duke University, MEM
- Georgetown University Law Center, LL.M. in Securities and Financial Regulation, with Distinction
- The University of Tulsa, J.D. with highest honors
- Texas Tech University, M.B.A.
- Auburn University, B.A.
- State Bar of Texas, 2002
S. Benton Cantey V
Chair of Corporate & Securities Section