Cheryl P. Leb
Cheryl P. Leb focuses her practice on the protection and maintenance of domestic and international intellectual property and the handling of related commercial transactions, including the registration of copyright and trademark rights, documenting manufacturing relationships and distribution arrangements, rights licensing and other commercial arrangements that involve the use or transfer of intellectual property rights. Her clients which include major consumer brands, authors, publishers, and non-profit charities rely on her ability to think creatively and help them navigate an often confusing legal framework.
Ms. Leb enjoys working with companies to establish and expand their brands and seeks innovative and cost-effective ways to protect their intellectual property assets in the U.S. and abroad. She routinely files applications with the United States Copyright Office and the United States Patent and Trademark Office, and represents clients in Uniform Domain Resolution Policy (UDRP) proceedings. Ms. Leb works alongside her clients to orchestrate multi-international brand expansions, as well as negotiate agreements covering a variety of intellectual property rights, such as technology and service agreements, copyright and trademark licenses, strategic alliance agreements, and publishing agreements.
Experience and highlights
Coordinated the management of an internationally known consumer brand’s trademark portfolio in over 40 countries worldwide
Represents the heirs to the estate of the legendary golfer Ben Hogan, and coordinates the licensing of his rights of publicity and the publishing of the world famous book, Ben Hogan’s Five Lessons: The Modern Fundamentals of Golf
Instituted and won numerous Uniform Domain Name Policy proceedings to recover domain names that infringed upon her clients’ trademark rights
Teamed with several clients to establish charitable corporations and then assist in the selection of their trademarks and branding, as well as working with the non-profits to protect their websites, content, and artwork
Assists clients in filing trademark registrations with United States Customs and Border Protection and with international custom agencies throughout the world as part of an overall brand protection and anti-counterfeiting initiative
Affiliations and honors
- American Law Institute, Member
- Texas Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Tarrant County Bar Association, Intellectual Property Section
Vice Chair, 2009-2010
- Kelly Hart & Hallman, Diversity Committee Co-Chair
- Recognized as a "Texas Super Lawyer" by Thomson Reuters, published by Texas Monthly magazine, 2013-2017
- Recognized as a "Texas Rising Star" by Super Lawyers, a Thomson Reuters service, published by Texas Monthly, magazine, 2005-2013
- Selected as a "Top Attorney" by Fort Worth, Texas magazine in Technology and Intellectual Property, 2002, 2005-2017
- Named a "Top Attorney" in Intellectual Property Law and Technology/Virtual Law by 360 West magazine, 2017
- Named a Top 50 Woman in Law by Texas Diversity Council, 2017
- Honored as one of Fort Worth's "40 Under 40" by the Fort Worth Business Press, 2011
- Featured profile in 2006 Rising Stars edition of Texas Monthly magazine
- In 2012 Ms. Leb served as an Adjunct Trademark Professor at Texas Wesleyan University School of Law. In 2013, she served as an Adjunct Professor at the Texas A&M University School of Law teaching an Entrepreneurial Law Clinic. From 2014-2016, she served as the Trademark Clinic Supervising Attorney and Adjunct Professor for the Texas A&M University School of Law, United States Patent and Trademark Office Law School Clinic.
- Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 1998
Phi Delta Phi
Order of the Coif
- Florida State University, B.S., magna cum laude, 1995
- State Bar of Texas, 1998
Speeches & Publications
- Contributing Editor, Rights of Publicity: Texas resources, Practical Law, Thomson Reuters Company, February, 2018
- Panelist, Diversity Panel hosted by Texas A&M University Hispanic Law Student Association, September 2017
- Contributing Chapter Author in Aspatore’s Inside the Minds: Recent Trends in Trademark Protection, 2013 Edition
- Speaker, 2011 19th Annual Texas Minority Counsel Program on the Topic of "Social Media and the Law"
- Author of Social Media: The Good, The Bad, and The Lucky, 19th Annual Texas Minority Counsel Program
- Speaker, 2006 14th Annual Texas Minority Counsel Program: "Negotiation Strategies: Issues Faced in the Negotiation of Intellectual Property Licenses and Entertainment Industry Agreements"
- Speaker, Tarrant County Intellectual Property Bar, 2009 Copyright Update
Cheryl P. Leb
Chair of Intellectual Property Section