William B. Burford
William B. Burford is a partner in the firm's Oil & Gas/Energy practice. He is a leader in the field of oil and gas title examination and is a past chair of the Texas State Bar Oil, Gas and Energy Resources Law Section. His experience includes all aspects of oil and gas title and transactional matters, involving fee, state and federal lands in both Texas and New Mexico. He has been a frequent speaker on oil and gas topics before legal and industry groups and has been a member, since its inception, of the joint editorial board for the development of title examination standards established by the Real Property, Probate and Trust Law, and Oil, Gas and Energy Resources sections of the State Bar of Texas. He serves as the Texas reporter for the Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation’s quarterly Mineral Law Newsletter.
Mr. Burford received a Bachelor of Science degree in geology, with honors, from the University of Texas at Austin in 1975. He received his law degree in 1978, also from the University of Texas, where he was a member of the Texas Law Review. He is a member of the State Bar of Texas and its Oil, Gas and Energy Resources and Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Sections, the Texas Bar Foundation, and the Midland County Bar Association.
Affiliations and honors
- Texas Bar Foundation
- Midland County Bar Association
- State Bar Oil, Gas and Energy Resources Law Section, Chair, 2011-2012
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America®, 2017-2021
- Texas Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2019, 2020
- The University of Texas School of Law, J.D., 1978
Texas Law Review
- University of Texas, B.S., with honors, 1975
- State Bar of Texas, 1978
Speeches & Publications
- Speaker, "Privilege Issues with Title Opinion Discovery," Oil and Gas Disputes Webcast, TexasBarCLE, January 2021